It’s time again for another one of our Entrepreneurs Corner Podcasts!
Hear how Richard got started in his journey on eBay, and it’s probably not how you would expect! You will also hear the journey of the Entrepreneur in how it was his third business which started him on his road to Ecommerce success.
Press Play below and listen in right now:
Richard didn’t find eBay like the usual seller and instead was getting more involved due to eBay’s VERO policy.
From DJ to a sign making company, Richard realised the potential of eBay to a product based business in 2003 when he started MDI Performace selling automotive car parts.
Hear how when the economy dipped in 2008 Richard spotted the potential of eBay and started taking the channel more seriously for his business.
Richards experiences make his insight in the podcast hugely valuable to anyone looking to start or grow on the marketplaces
- In 2000 started managing the copyrights of the company he was working for on eBay through their VeRO (Verified Rights Owner) programme.
- Whilst he never bought anything he spent so long looking at eBay listings, he was advising the companies they supplied to on changes they should make to their listings.
- In 2003 started MDI Performance with his business partner, selling wholesale car parts.
- This was his third business after his first being a DJ, and second a Sign business.
- By 2008 started taking online and eBay more seriously as a sales channel.
- How Richard predicts that 2015 will be the first year where online exceeds his Bricks & mortar business.
- What some of the biggest challenges have been for his business
- What his top tips are for anyone wanting to start there own ecommerce business.
In the recording above you will hear how Richards journey wasn’t typical in how he first got started on eBay. But it was this journey which put him on the right path in knowing the fundamentals to a good eBay listing.
His third business was his first real dealing with products and one of the most complex categories there is to sell in…car parts, was the area he knew best.
Fighting through the obstacles that vehicle fitments and compatibilities brings, led him eventually back to eBay where he spotted an ever growing opportunity.
Richard tells us that he now expects 2015 to be the year that online becomes the largest part of his business!
Good software is Crucial!
As you will hear in the recording above, there isn’t much software that Richard hasn’t at least tried in his time of selling online. From listing tools to shopping carts he really has explored many of the options available.
You will hear how he found UnderstandingE whilst looking for some help with Magento & M2E Pro but most importantly it’s his advice to other businesses when it comes to software.
Richard shares his view that software is crucial and as a business you should expect to invest in certain software to help automate processes and buy some time back for yourself!
His final piece of advice is that Marketing is Key!
The day you stop marketing your business, is the day your business starts to die
So to any listeners to the podcast wanting to start up their own ecommerce store, Richards advice is simple, be willing to invest some money into your business, you can’t compete when trying to do it for free.
You can take a look at Richard’s eBay store here:
Have a Story to Tell?
We hope you listening to this enjoyed it as much as we did recording it. If you would like to share your story with us about your entrepreneurial journey then we would love to hear from you, as I’m sure the other members would too!
Leave us a comment below that you would like to chat with us about your journey and we will be in touch.
As always if you have any questions or comments on this recording then feel free to ask them below too.
We look forward to speaking with you soon
Dave, Matt (and of course Richard!)