Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

mail_open
1000+ attributes causing slow loading times???
Daniel Cox

Excellent
January 13, 2015 - 12:59 pm
Forum Posts: 11
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hi,

We have added 1000+ attributes across many subcategories for our store following the instructions within the training, but we are now experiencing ridiculous load times. I wanted to know if anyone else has this many attributes or if we misunderstood the instructions somehow, it’s possible that the long load times were caused by other issues but we need to be sure having that many attributes is fine/normal.

Dan

Matthew Ogborne

Founder
January 13, 2015 - 1:45 pm
Forum Posts: 4565

Hi Dan,

+1000 attributes is a lot!

The maximum you’ll get to fit into one attribute set before starting to see a limitation of MySQL is around 345 (give or take 50 either side) when reindexing Magento.

So I would suggest reconsidering what you’re doing there as thats way too many. Even while at eSellerPro most of the biggest sellers would be hard-pushed to get anywhere near this and Magento is cleaner at managing the attributes.

Matt

"Selling an item online is easy, but making living from a business that sells online, well that’s something different entirely!"

Ultimo Magento Theme

Daniel Cox

Excellent
January 13, 2015 - 2:04 pm

Matthew Ogborne said

Hi Dan,

+1000 attributes is a lot!

The maximum you’ll get to fit into one attribute set before starting to see a limitation of MySQL is around 345 (give or take 50 either side) when reindexing Magento.

So I would suggest reconsidering what you’re doing there as thats way too many. Even while at eSellerPro most of the biggest sellers would be hard-pushed to get anywhere near this and Magento is cleaner at managing the attributes.

Matt

Thanks for the reply.

We have about 150 subcategories that we created Attribute Sets (150) for using the eBay attributes for every subcategory will will be selling in, that came up to about 1000+ attributes in 150 attributes sets. From what you said about 345 (give or take 50 either side) per attribute set, I think we should be fine because we have way less that 50 attributes per attribute set. Is that correct?

How man total attributes do you guess a magento store could hold before compromising performance based on 345 (give or take 50 either side) per attribute set?

Matt, I dont suppose I can PM you some how discuss some personal eCommerce coaching, even like 10 mins a week or something?

Dan.

Matthew Ogborne

Founder
January 15, 2015 - 9:45 am

Hi Dan,

Phew if thats the case!

But still 150 attribute sets is a lot and it’s no huge surprise that it’s slowed down with that number of sets & attributes. What I would suggest here is to speak to your hosting company and see what they suggest as it’ll pure grunt of the database/hosting abilities thats causing the slowdown.

I’m afraid for the coaching I just can’t offer that for you or anyone else. It would be unfair to everyone if I get distracted anymore on the current projects myself & Dave have on the go at the moment.

Matt

"Selling an item online is easy, but making living from a business that sells online, well that’s something different entirely!"

Ultimo Magento Theme

Daniel Cox

Excellent
January 15, 2015 - 10:32 am

Hi,

We discovered the problem, it was an filter that was loading all the attributes on every page instead of the specific subcategory page that was loaded.

For the coaching it would be great if you could add me to your “waiting list”, I came across one of your sites and I believe you offer a 8 week amazon deal. That sounds great, let me know when you think you next availability will be.

Dan.

Dave Furness

Founder
January 15, 2015 - 8:48 pm
Forum Posts: 4606

Hi Dan,

Glad to hear you got it sorted :)

Dave

Every expert was once a beginner

Mary Johnson
Austin Texas USA

New
February 12, 2015 - 9:58 am
Forum Posts: 2

You can try this Magento Checkout Field Manager Module where you can manage unlimited attributes what ever you want on your cart without facing any problem of loading time issues.Laugh

Matthew Ogborne

Founder
February 12, 2015 - 1:07 pm

Mary,

Do you “just-so-happen” to work for the company for the link you’ve posted?

Matt

Ultimo Magento Theme

Why Should You Join UnderstandingE?

• Access to over 500 step-by-step video tutorials
  • +20 video courses available
  • Magento, M2E Pro, Magmi, eBay, Amazon & Design all covered
  • Everything is in 100% Plain English
  • Learn how to build your own multi-channel software for eBay & Amazon
  • Access to the community forums, meet fellow business owners like yourself

Join Now with 2 Clicks

Join now for less that £1 per day you can gain access to over 400 step-by-step video tutorials & learn how to build your very own multi-channel software.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 1012

Currently Online:
15 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Jim @ Moogento: 688

Steve Froggatt: 514

Badeth - UE: 513

Jimbob: 453

Paul Cartwright: 414