I have had a situation whereby I have not been able to fulfill a customers order, having advised the customer of this I provided him with the option of an alternative lower price product which he accepted and requested for me to credit back the difference via PayPal and to send out the alternative product.
Having done this I then decided to raise a credit memo against the original invoice and put the details surrounding the credit in the comments section, I then put the difference in this case £100 into the “refund adjustment” box although this wasn’t accepted so I put it in the “Adjustment Fee” box and then this refunded everything BUT the £100 on the credit memo.
So the question is what is the best practice in Magento when raising a credit and how do you edit of delete an incorrect credit memo?
Thanks in advance,
Hey Michael there a re a few different ways of handling returns and credits etc.
In my experience the one that worked best in the same situation as yours would have been to do the following:
1. Cant fulfill order so contact customer and arrange alternative product.
2. Create a new order for the customer with the new product
3. Credit the original order but don’t refund to the customer
4. On the new order I would then record a payment using the original payment reference
5. Then manually refund the difference to the customer explaining what the refund was for.
Hopefully something along these lines will ensure that the audit trail for the order when it comes to the accounts can be followed through.
Does that make any sense? I understand every business is different though and this process may not be compatible with your business. Let me know if this would work / makes any sense?
Every expert was once a beginner
I agree that is probably the cleanest way to process the credit and I believe I can still achieve this although I am struggling to amend the initial credit memo that I raised against the order in error. How do I rectify this so I can go back to the start and follow your process?
I have just had a look around the Magento forums and cannot find a sigle one explaining how to amend a credit memo (plenty of people asking) The best suggestion seems to have been to download an extension which can delete orders (and one that can delete credit memos) Then create a new one once the incorrect one has been removed.
Every expert was once a beginner
I investigated this and found the same as you tbh, seems daft that this issue’s been around for years from what I can see and Magento haven’t put a fix in place.
Looks like I will have to invest in the below extension to get a resolve.
Thanks for your help anyway!
Why Should You Join UnderstandingE?
- Access to over 500 step-by-step video tutorials
- +20 video courses available
- Magento, M2E Pro, Magmi, eBay, Amazon & Design all covered
- Everything is in 100% Plain English
- Learn how to build your own multi-channel software for eBay & Amazon
- Access to the community forums, meet fellow business owners like yourself
Join Now with 2 Clicks
Join now for less that £1 per day you can gain access to over 400 step-by-step video tutorials & learn how to build your very own multi-channel software.
Most Users Ever Online: 1012
Currently Browsing this Page:
Jim @ Moogento: 688
Steve Froggatt: 514
Badeth - UE: 513
Paul Cartwright: 414
Administrators: Matthew Ogborne: 4565, Dave Furness: 4606