Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

mail_open
Buyers love large photos that clearly show the item, so please upload high-resolution photos that are at least 500 pixels on the longest side.
gabriele benedetti

Excellent
May 16, 2014 - 1:45 pm
Forum Posts: 19
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hello Guys.

In the e-commerce of my customer most of the images are sized 500px.

But when I try to list this products on Ebay I get this error:
Buyers love large photos that clearly show the item, so please upload high-resolution photos that are at least 500 pixels on the longest side.

Being written AT LEAST 500 px I understand >= 500 … maybe it prefers 501 px?
Is there a way to modify all the images by one pixel maybe with a script?

OR

Can it be that if I have several images in a product and one of these is not >=500 this small image make everything crash?

Dave Furness

Founder
May 16, 2014 - 2:36 pm
Forum Posts: 4606

Hi Gabriele

Yes that would make me think that the longest side of your images is not set to at least 500px. Really you should try to get images uploaded which are larger than this and treat 500 as the absolute minimum that you can upload.

The problem with trying to make images bigger is that you will lose image quality.

Does that make sense?

Dave

Every expert was once a beginner

gabriele benedetti

Excellent
May 16, 2014 - 2:41 pm

Yes I understand I will loose in quality, you are right…
but I cannot change 1000 images…

A solution could be to tell to m2epro to import on ebay only the first image…cause I know the first image is close to 500px…
then I will have the problem that my ebay account will be uneffective…

So I thought it was better to strech the images…
Do you know if somebody attempted to do so before me? Maybe with some Nerd help?

Dave Furness

Founder
May 16, 2014 - 6:57 pm

I do remember chatting to our resident Nerd @Matthew Ogborne about something that would do this a couple of months ago.

I’ll ask him again and see if he knows of something

Dave

gabriele benedetti

Excellent
May 19, 2014 - 12:35 pm

Thanks,
I’m stucked with with this error…
It seems images are 500px but it’s still not working :(

Your help will be really appreciated :)

Matthew Ogborne

Founder
May 20, 2014 - 5:18 am
Forum Posts: 4565

Hi Gabriele,

You had it right first of all here:

gabriele benedetti said
OR
Can it be that if I have several images in a product and one of these is not >=500 this small image make everything crash?

It’s ANY image that is not at the minimum width or height will cause eBay to complain.

We did write a script for this on importing images into Magento using Magmi, see this tutorial: https://understandinge.com/tutorial/imp-0012/

If the images are already in Magento, then this gets a little tricky.

You could run a standard export from Magento System > Tools > Export and reimport the images, although personally, I would suggest grabbing a PHP developer and ask them to adapt the script we made to record the image names that are not at the required levels, save the names as a separate file and then work through them manually (as there is most likely only a small number of them).

Matt

"Selling an item online is easy, but making living from a business that sells online, well that’s something different entirely!"

Ultimo Magento Theme

gabriele benedetti

Excellent
May 21, 2014 - 12:12 pm

Really I don’t understand…
in this product…
this set of images… aren’t all of them 500px?

http://www.mevita.it/depilazio…..abrasione/

O.o?

Dave Furness

Founder
May 21, 2014 - 12:51 pm

Hi Gabriele

I have checked the images and to me they are all showing as being at least 500px so not sure what the problem here can be. Have you tried contacting eBay to get clarification from there end?

Dave

gabriele benedetti

Excellent
May 22, 2014 - 2:34 pm

I tried to re-upload images at 600px.

It worked out.

Now my only problem is that I need to modify thousands of pictures that are already in magento!

And the script is not able to do it automatically…what I suppose is that the best thing would be to do a script that gets as input a folder
and then crawls all images and resize them…

do you think this could be a good workaround?
Do you have other suggestions that I can pass to the developer?

Thank you guys.

Matthew Ogborne

Founder
May 22, 2014 - 9:06 pm
Forum Posts: 4565

Howdy Gabriele,

Recursively checking folders and images with PHP is 100% possible, I’ve done this before.

Unfortunately I don’t have access to the code I used back then, however I can remember the core function that I used, see here http://stackoverflow.com/quest…..ryiterator

Matt

"Selling an item online is easy, but making living from a business that sells online, well that’s something different entirely!"

Ultimo Magento Theme

Richard Meldner
Miami/Ft. Lauderdale Area
May 23, 2014 - 2:10 am
Forum Posts: 325

As an alternative, why not use batch processing in Photoshop Elements (I will just call it Photoshop from here on) or Paintshop, both offer the ability to batch resize images and there are 30 day trials available for both if you only need to do it once. I don’t use Gimp (open source photo editor), but I would assume it can do it as well.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/t…..p_elements
http://www.paintshoppro.com/en…..fault.html
http://www.gimp.org/

I know with Photoshop you have a couple options on how to achieve this without compromising image quality as long as one dimension of the image is already 500px and the background is white or black. Lets assume you have a bunch of images that are 500px wide but less than 500 pix in height. With Photoshop you can just batch adjust the canvas size, so the image becomes 500px x 500px. If you need to get your images to 501px to allow eBay to accept them, just add batch adjust your images to 501px canvas size all around. Manipulating the canvas size as suggested works well for any image that at least in one dimension already conforms to the right size. You do not want to do this if your images are too small as that would just add a huge amount of white space to your image. I state this works best with white or black background as any other colored background can become difficult to match as usually they are not a constant value. For example most gray or off-white backgrounds will use multiple pixel values to generate the background color, so this method would create a framing effect.

Since you really need to do this on your computer, you could copy the entire image library with folders (maintaining the folder structure) to your computer using Filezilla or use one of the many FTP sync programs out there to sync your Magento media folder to your desktop computer. I think Matt and Dave have one they recommend, but I can’t think of the name at this moment. If you use Filezilla and maintain the directory structure from your webserver on your computer, you can then just reupload it the same way and all links will be maintained. Word of caution, using a sync program or using filezilla, in either case make sure you make a full backup of your Magento media folders before making any changes.

If you get all your media on your computer, you can also use a program like Mediainfo to try to just find the problem images if you believe there are not many. Using the XML view in Mediainfo, you can export or save a XML file which you can import into Excel. (http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo) Mediainfo was designed mainly for audio and video files, but it also reads all major image file formats.

Hope this makes sense.

Richard

You have to start with a plan to know what you will be deviating from.

Managing Petty Tyrant: mdiperformance.com

Why Should You Join UnderstandingE?

• Access to over 500 step-by-step video tutorials
  • +20 video courses available
  • Magento, M2E Pro, Magmi, eBay, Amazon & Design all covered
  • Everything is in 100% Plain English
  • Learn how to build your own multi-channel software for eBay & Amazon
  • Access to the community forums, meet fellow business owners like yourself

Join Now with 2 Clicks

Join now for less that £1 per day you can gain access to over 400 step-by-step video tutorials & learn how to build your very own multi-channel software.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 1012

Currently Online:
17 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Jim @ Moogento: 688

Steve Froggatt: 514

Badeth - UE: 513

Jimbob: 453

Paul Cartwright: 414