As the get closer to the launch, we’re going to share with you the progress as we get closer to the launch of the first phase of training guides with a daily update to the progress behind the scenes.
This is so you can see first hand some of the things we’re up to and you’ll soon see that we’ve still got loads to do to have the training guides ready for you on January 1st.
The First Phase
The key phrase above is “first phase”. We’ve made a few assumptions, you have an existing eBay business & have minor knowledge of Excel and have also assumed that you’ve never used Magento before.
This is as low as we can go right now as to go any lower would require another set of guides for how to sell on the marketplaces as that’s something we can do as a second or third stage in 2014.
With the base set, our goal of phase one is to ensure that you:
- Have Installed & configured Magento for the UK
- Are comfortable with Magento (how it works, attributes & best practice attributes etc…)
- Have installed M2E Pro & gone through the wizard
- Are able to list simple, variation & multi-variation products to eBay
- Able to decide between the simple and advanced method
- And finally able to process eBay orders at a basic level
We work with you to choose a domain name, a hosting provider, install Magento, get you used to Magento, then install our first extension together (which is not M2E Pro!) and then move on to understand how the inventory system works in Magento.
From the base setup guides, we then move onto installing & configuring M2E Pro. This covers 9 guides and comes in at a total of 83 minutes of recording time. If we consider this is just over an hour, that’s not too bad at all as we spoon-feed it out and go through the process of how to install, configure and get through their setup wizard. We even go “À-la-nerd” and setup the cron job together and there is a big-fat “congratulations” at the end of that section too.
Dave coined the term “A Degree in Nerd is Not Required“. I’ve been chuckling at that since I heard it and have started to use it everywhere. We’ve even started to include a “Nerd Alert” in the training guides too for when it gets too geeky.
Tomorrow we’ll share what we’ve done with the creating, managing & listing to eBay guides.
The To-do List
Here is the majority of the things that I can think of that need to be done between now & January 1st.
The stark reality that is is 5 days away (as I’m counting today as well) is now is a bit scary :/
- Edit & render the setup guides numbers 1-8, 10, 12-14, 15-19 & 21
- Prepare & record the “Listing Templates & M2E Pro” guides numbers 3-7
- Start the order management guides (because we’ve not even started those yet)
- Check over the latest Moogento extensions & check their compatibility
- Compete the accompanying pages for each of the guides (*coff* Dave!)
- Complete the holding pages for the root guide pages
- Create a “it’s on our todo list, vote it up in the forums” video for the guides that will not be present for January 1st (mainly the advanced ones)
- Make sure that the custom Magento admin theme works when it’s installed prior to M2E Pro (personally I’m really concerned about this one)
- Package up the custom Magento admin theme
- Install & configure Magento for our own store for downloadable products (going to be fun, never done that before)
- The Magmi installer needs more work, it has a problem with sessions
- Fix cpanel as it killed itself after a update
Register exportmylistings.com / .co.uk
- Install WP & build simple website for exportmylistings (this is a tool to extract your data from eBay and create an import file ready for Magento, it’s pretty mental, but I’m biased)
- Buy SSL certificate & apply to exportmylistings
- Finish stage 2 of exportmylistings which is the user interface to make the stages obvious
- Have a look at stage 4 of exportmylistings which is to reverse engineer listing templates to extract product descriptions (probably not going to be ready for Jan 1st)
- The vimeo videos that I set to full HD, change to 720P instead for better rendering in browsers
- Finish the eBay listing template builder templates 1 & 2
- Make the related items widget work to go in the listing templates
I’m sure Dave can add to this list as well, but it’s early here & I doubt he’s up yet. Plus there are a few others that I can’t publish as they’re quite sensitive.
First Coffee Down & Rock-On! January 1st
It’s almost 08:00, I’ve been fed (thanks Maccy D’s) & the I’ve had the first coffee of the day, time for a second, I’m going to need it.
We might not hit the target of the complete guides for phase one on January 1st, but it won’t be from a lack of trying and if we don’t we’re going to be very, very close.
The one thing I’ve personally learnt over the past few months, is that having a clear goal and focusing on it exclusively does make a massive difference and those things that appear as important or urgent at the time, rarely are. We’ll get a Podcast up shortly and share the best way I’ve found of handling procrastination is to announce “It’s too late I’ve pressed send”, which is normally followed by Dave saying, “Oh dear what have you done now?”.
My question to you is, did you find this insight helpful?
Let me & Dave know in the comments box below.